Tuesday 24 March 2015

TS Mercury Old Boy to be honoured. Great Escaper Thomas Barker Leigh.

The universe is a funny place, and coincidences abound.
 
Some time late last year, I submitted a small piece about Australian Great Escaper Thomas Barker Leigh to The Mercury Magazine. The Journal of the TS Mercury Old Boys' Association, as Tom had been a Mercury boy before he joined the RAF.
 
I kid you not. My copy of the magazine, with the article, arrived from the UK today, the 71st anniversary of the Great Escape, when Tom made his failed bid for freedom. Uncanny.
 
The wonderful thing is, before I contacted them, the Mercury Association had no idea that Tom was one of their old boys. They are dedicating a new war memorial later this year, and Tom's name will  be on it. (He has already been included on the online roll of honour) http://www.tsmercury.com/WWIIRollOfHonour.html 
 
I am so pleased that Tom is now recognised by Training Ship Mercury.
 
Vale Tom.









For those who missed it, here is a longer piece on Tom from my blog. http://australiansinsliii.blogspot.com.au/2015/02/great-escaper-thomas-barker-leigh.html

No comments:

Post a Comment